Let’s look into the French 75. A champagne cocktail associated with the trials and tribulations of World War 1. Named after the French 75mm howitzer gun and aptly so, as the drink kicks like a gun. Created in the famous Harry’s New York Bar in Paris and likely drunk by a number of the famous faces which were known to visit. A list which includes the likes of Ernest Hemingway, Coco Chanel, Humphrey Bogart, Daft Punk and even the former King Edward VIII.
Ingredients Required To Make A French 75 Champagne Cocktail
- 25ml of dry London gin
- 12.5ml of freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 12.5ml of simple syrup, (if you’re unsure how to make simple syrup, then a recipe for it is available here)
- 75ml of Champagne (or other sparkling wine of your choice)
- Garnish: lemon twist
How To Make A French 75 Champagne Cocktail
- Firstly, add the gin, lemon juice, simple syrup and ice to a cocktail shaker.
- Shake well until it’s thoroughly chilled. The cocktail shaker should be cold to touch.
- Afterwards, strain into a Champagne glass – a flute or a coupe works fine.
- Top up the glass with Champagne.
- Finally, garnish with a twist of lemon. If you’re wondering how to twist a lemon, (or any citrus fruit), then you can find out here.
- Enjoy a perfect French 75 Champagne Cocktail!
French 75 Tasting Notes
As we’ve said, this Champagne cocktail possesses a kick. In this instance, it’s a kick I’m happy to take. However, the dryness of the gin balances itself nicely with the sharp acidity of the lemon. This combination of crisp dryness and acidity makes the fruit from the Champagne a perfect accompaniment.
The French 75 is a great Champagne cocktail. However, there are a number of other great options available if you’re looking to expand your Champagne cocktail repertoire. If you’re looking for other Champagne cocktails to try this festive season, then read our article here. As well as full breakdowns of both a ‘Champagne Cocktail’ and a ‘Kir Royale’.
- Champagne CocktailsBlack Velvet Cocktail – Spice Up Your Stout!
- Champagne CocktailsSpritz Veneziano – The Perfect Summer Drink!
- Champagne CocktailsHow To Make A Champagne Cocktail
- Champagne CocktailsNegroni Sbagliato – The Happiest of Mistakes
- Champagne CocktailsEasy Prosecco Cocktail Recipes
- Champagne CocktailsEasy Champagne Cocktails: Top 5 Christmas Tipples
- Champagne CocktailsHow To Make A Kir Royale
- Champagne CocktailsTop Sherry Cocktail Recipes For This Festive Season!
Join our mailing list to get exclusive access to our weekly wine offers
20 mixed cases of wine a week on sale at cellar door prices